Here’s the recipe of the Green Tomato Jam I cooked for Berlin Food Week! Easy to make and delicious, it won best entry for the “sweet” category. This recipe gives a kick to any buttered toast but is also a treat on all cheeses, from fresh soft ricotta as a dessert or a stronger goat’s cheese.
- 1.6 kg green tomatoes
- 800g sugar
- Two big thumbs of ginger
- Half a lime juice
- Dice the tomatoes and place in thick-bottomed pot.
- Peel the ginger, slice it and chop into fine pieces.
- Add together with the tomatoes, half a lime juice and the sugar.
- Cook over a low heat for about one to two hours, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- To check if the jam is cooked: use the spoon to put a few drops onto a cold plate and watch the drop: if the drop “breaks” or runs when you tilt the plate then your jam isn’t ready, if they hold and don’t flatten, then it’s ready!
- Pour into sterilised jars, close the lid and let them cool upside down to create a vacuum-seal.